Saturday 29 December 2012

Reading on Reflection

It can be such a struggle to get our kids reading if they are reluctant other slightest.  This Christmas I've been told by my mother that I was a reluctant reader, a real shock!  I couldn't remember this at all, such is my memory, but it has slowly been coming back to me.  On further investigation, into why this was the case, I was told it was just one of those things: too busy with Lego (probably).

The answer, according to mum and dad, was to find something I could access.  It wasn't that I struggled to read and very often this is the case with boys.  We are quite capable of reading, but we're choosy.  There's all sorts of advice I, and others, could give you and depending on your child it may or may not work.  Fundamentally, what helped with me is that mum and dad were able to find a genre I found interesting, which at the time was fantasy starting with a chap called Stephen Lawhead.  In the links at the side you will see a link to 'The Big Book Review' which may give you some guidance.  The kids, of all ages, have written a review on a favourite book and it may be useful as a guide.  Otherwise, in a previous post, you will see a link to a site that categorises texts for children of different ages in a really useful way.

Happy Christmas,
Mr Stirrup